Enrollment for Florida's Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) program for the 2023/2024 school year opens on January 1, 2023. To register your child for VPK, visit the Florida Early Learning Family Portal at familyservices.floridaearlylearning.com.
The Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) is a free program designed to prepare four-year-old children for kindergarten and build the foundation for their educational success. Literacy and language skills are a large part of the VPK standards which helps your child to develop better social skills (and less behavioral issues) when entering kindergarten and builds a strong foundation for the future.
VPK is available to all four-year-old children, born on or before September 1st of the enrolled school year, regardless of family income. Children must live in Florida. Parents whose children are born between February 2nd and September 1st can postpone enrolling their 4-year-old until the following year when their child is 5.
Parents can select from one of several program options available from private and public providers.
School Year Program
- 540 instructional hours
- Class sizes not to exceed 11 students with one lead instructor or up to 20 students with a lead instructor and an assistant
- Instructors must have a minimum of a Florida Child Care Professional Credential
- A typical class begins in August
- 300 instructional hours
- Class sizes not to exceed 12 students with a single lead instructor
- Instructors must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- A typical class begins the following June
Specialized Instruction Services (VPK-SIS)
- For children with disabilities who have current individual educational plans developed by the local school district
- Takes place outside a traditional classroom and class sizes vary based on services provided
VPK programs may be administered by public, private, and faith-based providers who meet the State eligibility requirements.
To apply for VPK all you need is your child’s birth certificate and proof of residency in the State of Florida (Utility bill, etc.)
Register for an account and apply for VPK at familyservices.floridaearlylearning.com.